How to Enroll in Medicare Advantage and/or Medical Supplemental Insurance
Now that you know about the various Medicare parts and enrollment periods, it's time to think about what you'll need to enroll in a Medicare Advantage or Medicare Supplemental Insurance, or Part D coverage plan.
Prepare to Enroll:
Before starting the enrollment process, take a moment to ensure you have all the information and materials:
- You’ll need your (MBI) number; we recommend having your Medicare card and number ready
- A list of your prescription drugs
- A list of any doctors or providers you want to ensure are in-network under your new coverage.
Whether you’re new to Medicare, looking to make a change or just want to know your options, HelloMedicare can help.
For answers to commonly asked questions about Medicare and enrollment, simply hover over “Learn About Medicare” and select Medicare 101.
To learn more about the various parts of Medicare and what they cover, select Medicare Coverage or Part A, Part B, Part C Medicare Advantage, Medicare Supplement Insurance (Medigap), or Part D Prescription Drugs.
“When to Enroll” includes details on Medicare eligibility and enrollment periods.
Medicare Advantage, Medicare Supplemental Insurance and Part D
To view and compare specific plans and benefits, visit “Shop Medicare Plans.”
Enter your primary zip code to narrow plans to those available in your area, then scroll down to review and compare plans
As you compare plans, there are a few important things to keep in mind:
- Plans have different benefits and coverage: Review each plan’s co-pays, premiums and more by clicking “View Plan Details.”
- Consider additional services offered: Medicare Advantage carriers and plans vary on dental, vision, hearing and special services like pest control, service animals and transportation benefits.
- Prescription drug coverage: Some Medicare Advantage plans may maximize your drug benefits at a similar cost to you. Check your specific prescriptions for coverage under each plan by clicking “Your Drugs.”
- You cannot compare Medicare Advantage and Medigap plans at the same time. This is because these plans cannot be sold together (they are either or options), and they offer very different benefits.
- Medigap coverage: Medigap plans have standardized coverage. This means that all plans with the same letter, the only difference is the carrier and cost.
Now that you’ve learned about Medicare, compared your options, and reviewed plans that fit your budget and lifestyle, you’re ready to enroll.
Start by selecting “Enroll in this Plan.” You will be routed to the specific carrier’s enrollment form. Each carrier’s enrollment process is unique, so make sure you complete the entire form.
Your enrollment will not be submitted until you click “Submit Enrollment”.
After completing the online enrollment form, you will receive a confirmation email that your enrollment was successfully submitted. This email should arrive within a few minutes of submitting your enrollment.
However, this email is not a confirmation of coverage. Within 10 days of submitting your enrollment, you should receive a second communication from the plan carrier.
If there are any questions on your enrollment or if additional information is needed, the carrier will contact you directly.
That’s it! With a few clicks, you’ve learned, compared, and enrolled in Medicare plan options that support your lifestyle and your budget.
If you still have questions or need some help at any step of the process, give us a call. Our HelloMedicare licensed insurance agents are here to help make things easy and guide you to a plan that meets your needs.
Ready to view plans? Enter your zip code to shop plans and enroll today.
There are four basic Parts of Medicare: A, B, C and D. There are also Medigap Plans: A, B, C, D, F, G, K, L, M, and N. Find out which parts are right for your health needs.
Medicare Costs Defined
Coinsurance, copays, premiums and more. Find out what those key terms mean, and how Medicare costs are shared.
When to Enroll
We are here to help make your coverage as seamless as possible and avoid any possible late fees by enrolling or switching plans. We’ve got the info you need.